From:
Hal Trachtenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 07:16:00 -0500
--- Jim Hodges <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Richard wrote
>
> >I was wondering if you guys could help me install
> my Win ME. It freezes up
> >in the beginning (when it's transfering the data to
> the HD at 2% in the
> >lower left bar). I got a A7V Mobo (with 1007
> bios)and ATA100 disabled,
> >Stealth S540 ( by Diamond 32Mb AGP 4x), Quantum
> Fireball as Primary Master
> >IDE (40 Gb 7200 rpm), Creative CD-Rom as Secondary
> Master (52x IDE). I used
> >FDISK (1 whole active partition only) and format c:
> /s (using Win 98 boot
> >disk, since the Win ME gives no more support to
> format - it says so when I
> >try...) as try to install the OS, it simply
> freezes(???).
> >I've somewhere that the Windows FDISK does not
> support HD bigger than 30
> >Gb. Is it true?
> >Please lend me a hand, I would really appreciate a
> lot. Thanx

Are you using the upgrade version of ME or the full
version? If you are using the full version it is
recommended that you do a clean install, which means
formatting the hard drive, although you can still
probably get away with installing the full version
over win98 and it would probably be less of a problem
installing over 98SE, but in my experience I found ME
to be more stable when installed cleanly. If you only
have the upgrade version, you have to install it over
98 or 98SE. What you might want to try, if you haven't
already, and if you are going to install the full ME,
is to reformat the hard drive without the /s command,
as ME might have a problem installing on a HDD that is
formatted this way.

                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>