From:
ken and sue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:27:57 -0800
try the windows xp compatable hardware site.it sounds like windows is turning them off(disabling them)because te drivers are incompatable. see if you can get updated drivers from the companies website.hope tis helps

Venkat Viswanathan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  Hi all,

(1) o/s--winxp-pro (no sp2)
(2) mobo----ANCIENT? (label says " pc partner")
(3) cpu--- intel P3--700 mHZ
(4)PCI graphic card again ANCIENT? (S3 VIRGE-- made by 1996 STB systems INC.[Mexico])
(5)Win bond PCI fast ethernet Adapter(generic W89c840)
(6)ADSL modem connected to usb in ethernet card in pci slot
(7) both usb ADSL modem and winbond pci fast ehernet adapter show up in device manager when checked after boot
(8)connects to the internet without any problem and the connection is shown in the system tray.

And now the PROBLEM.--- The moment I try to access any site either with IE or FIREFOX or even try to sign up MSN messenger or yahoo messenger the system freezes and i have to forcibly power off.

after reboot I find that, the "winbond pci fast ethernet adapter" has a yellow mark(in device manager) which means it has been disabled. I uninstall/shutdown/reboot/windows detects winbond... adapter/installs drivers(after I choose let windows install)/ and it shows up ok in device manager.

try accessing any site or sign up any of the messenger service, the system freezes again and the cycle goes on.
in brief the winbond adapter seems to disable itself the moment you try accessing any site.

shall be very grateful for any feedback on this strange problem. do I change the pci ethernet card? but if it is defective how do i get connected in the first place and stay connected till i access any site?.

good day to all---- Venkat

PCBUILD's List Owners:
Bob Wright
Drew Dunn