From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 08:37:12 -0800
Hi Gordon,

It is possible that a neighbors access point is interfering with yours, but
unless it is physically closer to your computers, you should at least see
some signal from them, although you might have problems with reliable
connections.

Note that in the US, wireless access points can run on any of 11 different
channels so if this is the problem, you should be able to solve it by
changing the channel. Note what channel your wireless computers see your
neighbors access points on, and select a different channel. Most people use
these "out of the box", and by default they are on the same channel, and
never change them, so you get everyone in the area using the same channel.
Most people never turn on any security either, so you have wide open
networks.

In order to change it, you will have to login to the router using one of the
wired connections, usually by pointing your web browser to the IP address of
the router. (most people don't set a login password for this either, another
big security breach). Note that all changes must be reflected in the clients
as well (channel, SSID, security settings, etc).

Note that other hosehold appliances can use the same frequency (2.4Ghz) and
can cause interference, like 2.4Ghz cordless phones, and microwave ovens.

If this still doesn't help, you might need to strip everything down to
basics, turn off all security settings temporarily, and go with a simple
open network, just to see if your laptop can access the WAP and go from
there. If you still don't get anything, then I would suspect the router
died.

Russ Poffenberger