From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 02:11:54 -0500
I have this scanner and it works OK under XP. You just have to jump through
a few hoops.
UMAX will sell you a new driver from their site (www.umax.com) or you can
use the driver that comes with XP, but Vista Scan won't work and you may be
limited to scanning from Paint. The driver from driverguides never worked
for me.
I searched on Google and found the proper driver at
http://www.umax.com.au/order_driver.html
The site is down at the moment, but if you have trouble getting it, let me
know and I can post this 9.5 MB file somewhere so you can download it.
Why Umax doesn't provide this driver free is beyond me, unless it's the
usual money-grubbing that's so common nowadays.
It's odd that their German division makes it available at no charge, but
good for us.
**************************************
I'm trying to upgrade the operating system on this machine
from WinME to WinXP.  According to the compatibility program
that comes with WinXP, most everything that I have on this
computer will work with WinXP except my Umax 3400 Scanner
and its VistaScan software.  I went looking for an XP
compatible driver for the Umax3400 and found one at
www.driversguide.com however, it is in a zip file and has no
directions on how to install it.  I would greatly appreciate
any help in getting this scanner to work.  I know it is a
cheap scanner but it has always worked very well on my
system.  I would hate to give up on it.