From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 14:17:43 -0800
On 13 Oct 98 at 10:26, corbin boyt wrote:

> Last spring I convinced my girlfriend's family to buy an IBM PS/2
> machine at a resale warehouse.  I was not aware at how proprietary
> these machines were.  I have had many headaches associated with
> this computer.  Recently I decided I would like to try to upgrade
> this computer.  When I cracked open the case I realized that I had
> a SCSI harddrive(99 megabytes) and a SCSI 3 and a 1/2 inch disk
> drive.  I also have 16 megs of RAM installed. Would it be at all
> possible to find affordable parts that will replace my existing
> equipment?  I would like to find a CD ROM and a medium sized hard
> drive (500 megabytes to 1 gig).  Any information anyone has would
> be greatly appreciated.  (Hopefully someone can remember back to
> when they made those computers).

  IBM continues to make wonderful SCSI hard drives, and if a second
one won't fit inside the case, an external housing and cable (~$50)
may be a viable alternative.  CD-rom drives are often housed this way
-- all it needs is for there to be an external SCSI connector on the
machine.  SCSI still costs more than IDE, but not by as much as it
used to.

  PS/2-style mice and keyboards have come down to about the same
prices as others, but PS/2 RAM is unlikely to be cheap.

David G

                                  -----