From:
HARDIKAR <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 17:06:48 +0300
Hi Listmembers,

My PC when cold booted every day just refuses to boot until I leave it
power-on for at least 2 hrs. When I switch on the PC I will see two first
flash screens, a single beep, <searching boot record ID=0, OK> then a black
screen and it stops there.The system will again reboot automatically the
same way and keep recycling or freeze needing reset .It will not proceed
beyond these three screens for at least 2 hrs or so irrespective of pressing
any key like F8,Ctrl, or Esc. etc. After about 2 hrs. warm-up when F8 key or
Esc key is pressed after the beep, the boot option screen with 7 option
could be seen. The step-by-step option on the first attempt will never
succeed and rather end up with <Windows protection error.You must re-start
your computer> message. Next time I will be forced to select the Safe-mode
by the windows to boot. There is 50% chance that it will boot in fist
attempt in safe mode. After making something like 20 aborted  attempts,
ultimately it will boot up using step-by-step method.

It is 2yrs old PC with Intel MMX 200 processor, 16X2MB EDO
RAM, and single 2.5 GB Fujitsu harddisk. In Nov 99 I added one
8GB WD Caviar EIDE HD. The new HD is primary slave.The MB is
TX-PRO with AMI BIOS ver 1.05. I had FDISK/Format and re-install on the
machine and everything was ok for few days. I also tried to upgrade the RAM
to 64MB  by adding two 16MB EDO sticks in the remaining two SIMM 4/5 slots
but I
had to abort it because the MB did not detect it. I had swapped the sticks
in
the SIMM slots swapped Bios but no improvement. Presently it is 32 MB  in
row 4/5.

 Is it time to replace MB or bios battery or memory is spoiled or,power
supply module or, a
reinstall or swap the HD ,...where do I start with? please help.

Anant Kumar Hardikar

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html