From:
Leigh & Irene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 11:20:31 +1000
Hi

This sounds like a problem with static electricity.
Your body is building up an electrical charge and when you touch the mouse
it is discharging through your computer, causing it to re boot.  THIS IS
HARMING YOUR COMPUTER. Every static discharge can damage the chip or other
parts of your computer, it may not cause it to fail immediately but you may
notice a drop in performance.

The causes of static build up are: low humidity (not much you can do about
that), friction between different materials ie: wool and nylon, for example
if you have a woolen carpet and your chair has nylon rollers, or you wear
sneakers with plastic soles. Or if you wear wool based clothes and your
chair has a nylon cover, etc etc

What you can do to prevent this in the future:
Always touch something metal that is earthed before you touch your mouse.
The static discharge will go to earth via the metal (eg a tap or earthed
metal appliance, a metal doorframe in a metal framed building). you can get
special anti static pads that you put under your chair to stop the static
buildup, and I think you can get an earthing pad to touch in order to
discharge the static.... the other listers might like to coment on that as
i'm not sure.

hope this helps
Leigh Jennings [log in to unmask]

>Subject: Re-Boot
>

>Hellow Friends
>I am facing a strange problem. During working often I have to leave my =
>seat while  my PC running, when I come back and touch mouse suddenly  I =
>feel electric shock and system is also automatically rebooted with that =
>shock. I face this problem more than one time every day.  I am unable to =
>  understand that  from where comes this current to shock me and why/How =
>PC is rebooted at same time without touching any part of it ? Is there =
>any solution ?
>Thanks in advance
>

>Murtaza Malik

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: