From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 23:44:19 -0800
> My ISP is trying to convince me that the Lucent-based LT modems are
> more reliable and connect better than a USR hardware (not winmodem) modem.
> He says that the LT modems connect at 56K **all** the time.
> The root of all this is that I just installed a new USR/3Com model 2976
> internal hardware modem and I can not get a consistent connection
> with my ISP.  And yes, I have installed the latest driver for my model
> modem.
> My old KFlex winmodem always connected fine albiet slow.

Personally, it sounds like your ISP supports the
K56 Flex and V.90 standard only. Have they offered
another dial up number ?
I'm with Earthlink and they to tend to lean torwards
WinModems but they have numbers which support
every standard now.

Earthlink has locally provided us with 3 numbers.

One supports V.90 or x2
Another supports V.90 or K56
And Third supports V.34,V.90

My 56k V.90 Pratical Peripheral Modem (generic USR)
would connect to all 3 but the best performance was with
the x2.

You may want to ask your ISP exactly what
standards they support.

-yui shin

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html