From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 09:41:20 -0400
At 08:24 PM 6/22/1998 Don Cooley  wrote:

> [Jim Meagher] said in the other post:
>"I have been in this business for a long time and I have NEVER met a
>*professional* who would deviate from the specs."
>
>My reply:
>I would agree with you as I too have been around for awhile.  But I have
>seen one company wired by three professionals who used different colors on
>the wiring of 1/2 and 3/6.  Pins 4/5 & 7/8 don't make any difference.  It is
>not unusual to see them not connected.

Don:

I realize you are just pointing out that deviation doesn't
mean the wiring won't work and also that you follow the
specification yourself. But just so an apprentice doesn't
get the wrong idea, I have a few words on the issue.

What works is fine, BUT . . . . SPECIFICATION, custom
of the trade, industrial protocol and common business
practices are VERY important. If you, Gentle Reader,
value your business, you should follow the custom of
the profession. And if you don't wish to drive your attorney
nuts.

Regardless of the reality, the perception is paramount.
Someone less knowledgeable (or even more savvy)
comes after you to fix ANY problem and points out to
the business owner that you wired it out of spec. Shows
him or her the book. Tells them your work is the problem.
Sells them an entire re-wire job. Consequently, you don't
get a call back for more work. Your reputation is history
at that business and wherever the owner bad-mouths you.

Follow book and no one can blame you for undeserved
sins.

Risk management is a more important issue. If there's
a fire at the location, and the only thing the inspectors
can find out of the ordinary is your wiring, you become
a scape goat. Then you need to prove that your wiring
scheme cannot cause fires. Then you're dealing with
insurance adjusters, attorneys, juries, and fellow
professionals testifying as hostile expert witnesses.
Preponderance of the evidence wins at trial, not
necessarily the truth. Absurd, but it happens.

If you do it the way everyone in the industry does it, you
have the actuarial experience of the trade to back up your
work. All the professionals can attest that everyone does
it that way and there's never been a problem. Deviate and
you stand out of the pack; then, Darwinian forces take a
hard look at you.

Don't raise any red flags.

Regards,

John Chin