From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 08:27:16 -0700
Most programs these days install files in Windows folders during
installation as well as the programs own folder. Reinstalling Windows
replaced and/or eliminated those program files within the Windows
folders. You need to reinstall the non functioning programs to restore
the required files.

Windows XP loves RAM especially when running multiple programs. 512 MB
is a good minimum.

As to the time to start, there may be unneeded or unwanted programs
running on startup. Scanning with an up-to-date anti virus program and
one or more anti spyware programs could help. You may need to scan in
safe mode if there are indications of viruses. Also check the task
manager (control/alternate/delete) for running programs and note those
that are unneeded. Go into run/msconfig and view the programs set to run
on startup and disable KNOWN unneeded programs. You may want to do this
one program at a time. In  programs/accessories/system tools, do a drive
cleaning and then a defragmentation. If you have a good registry
cleaner, use that. There are other things you can do, such as disabling
certain unneeded "services", but the foregoing should provide the most
help. Disable "hibernation" if it presents problems. Hibernation sounds
good, but XP does not handle it well on all computers.

Post again as to your results and any further help you may desire. I
hope this information helps.

Tom Mayer
> Subject: Can't open programs
>

> One of my RAM chips failed.  I had to reinstall XP and it will not recognize
> or open programs that can be seen by win explorer.
>
> When I click on a program icon it seems that one or another .dll file is
> missing.  So right now I have a number of programs sitting on my drive that
> are not useable.  I hesitate to simply delete these and leave remnant files
> throughout my system.  My laptop is now running very slow and takes many
> minutes to be up and running from start and from hibernating.  Aside from
> adding 512k replacement to my 256k RAM is there any other way to get my
> laptop speed back.
>
> I am newly running MS Office on a HP Pavilion ze5700.
>

> Paul Berberich

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml