From:
Peter Ekkerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jul 2011 14:52:42 -0400
Hi Don,

>What's the easiest/best way to run an antivirus scan on a laptop (XP) from
my home desktop (W7 ultimate)?<

Strictly by the question: If the computers are networked, you can try to
mount the XP laptop drive
as a network drive in W7.Then do the virus scan on W7 and focus on the
laptop drive.
Caveat: This requires the XP and the drive to be actively running (which you
prefer not to)

>Would a USB transfer cable do it?<
I tried several USB transfer cables and while you have access to all files
and folders,
they don't show up under My Computer, because the drive isn't mounted as
such and hence
doesn't show up as a drive to be scanned.
There may well be exceptions to this, but the above are my findings.
Again ,even if  the XP drive were mounted, it requires it to be active in
this case.

Keeping in mind that you don't want the XP drive to be active,
next would be an "offline" rescue disc ,either with an AV only on it  and
many  AV companies provide them
example would be  Avira Rescue CD
http://www.avira.com/en/support-download-avira-antivir-rescue-system
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/38889/how-to-use-the-avira-rescue-cd-to-clean-your-infected-pc/
On this page links to Kasperski and Bit Defender CDs as well .There are
others.

or get one that has several AV programs like as in SARDU
http://www.sarducd.it/
For the above, use RW of either CD or DVD ,so you can update the program
without using another disc.

Another favorite is to always install a mini version of XP on a system in a
dual- or multiboot setup.
The mini has the AV scanner on board and can scan the main OS partition
without it actively running.

Use an IDE- or SATA to USB adapter on the laptop drive
As for connecting the  drive, is there enough room for an external connector
once you disconnect the laptop's drive connector?
If the SATA/IDE to USB adapter is too bulky ,try your adapter or an
extension cable to the USB adapter.

Just some ideas, some of which I use regularly.

Peter E.