From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:08:43 -0700
  The usual lights on a NIC are:

1. LINK

  This lights to indicate that a physical connection to another network
device exists -- i.e., the cable is connected and is probably of the right
type to allow data to flow.

2. ACTIVITY

  This light will blink when data is actually flowing.

3. SPEED (optional)

  10/100 NICs often include a light which indicates which speed the link is
actually operating at.

  Note that you should not expect to see ACTIVITY or SPEED lights without
LINK, and you will not see LINK until the network cable is plugged in.

David Gillett

On 22 Aug 2004 at 19:28, Diane Duncan wrote:

> Hoping to connect my linux box to my lan, I installed a Linksys 10/100
> Ethernet card in a PCI slot on the Intel AL440LX motherboard.  No led
> lights illuminated to indicate power going to the card.
>
> Given that this is running only linux (Red Hat 7.1) and no Windows, I have
> no idea how to see anything.
>
> I tried another slot and got the same result.  I can't even fake I know
> what I'm doing here...
>
> Help?  :}
>
> thanks,
> Diane
>
>            The NOSPIN Group is now accepting donations to help
>           defer the costs of providing PCBUILD and our website.
>            Visit http://freepctech.com to donate using PAYPAL

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml