From:
Byron Wolter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 01:03:16 -0600
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but with all those drives you have I would
think you need more than 200 watts.  I've not seen anything less than 250 in
the last few years and many now have 300.

Byron Wolter

Hello to all
I recently bought a CPU upgrade device from PowerLeap (PL-iP3/T)
(www.powerleap.com) to upgrade my Slot 1 Gateway Pentium II 400 up to a
Celeron™ (Tualatin) processor with 256K L2 cache running at 1.2 GHz on a 100
MHz bus. I have upgraded the motherboard's (Tabor MP440BX) BIOS to Gateway's
latest version (4M4PB0X1.15A.0033.P21) but cannot get the device to POST.

 When I install the adapter and start the machine it powers up, the LED on
the adapter device lights up indicating it is receiving power, the HD light
lights up for several seconds indicating activity, but the machine never
POSTs. PowerLeap suggested that I may not be pressing the adapter fully into
the MB but I have made sure that it is fully seated. The adapter has an auto
sensing unit which sets the FSB speed and voltage for the type of CPU chip.
This can be overridden with manual settings which I have also tried with no
success.

A search of the newsgroups tells me that several others with my MB and CPU
have successfully upgraded with the adapter so I know it is possible. It is
very frustrating not being able to get my system to work with this device
but I'm not sure what the problem could be. After further research, I have
seen some references to a lack of adequate power from the power supply. Is
this possibly the culprit? This machine (Gateway E4200) was purchased in
August 1999 with Windows 98SE and with a Pentium II 400, 96MB RAM, DVD, ZIP,
and CD drives, as well as the standard floppy and 13.6GB HD. It came with a
network card and a 56K modem. The video was an 8MB ATI AGP Rage 8MB card and
the sound from a Creative SoundBlaster Audio PCI 128D. The power supply is
200 watts.

I changed to Windows Me and have disconnected the ZIP drive but now have the
original 13.6GB 5600RPM HD and a 60GB 7200RPM HD. I swapped the CD drive for
a CD-RW and still have the DVD drive. I pulled the original video card and
installed a Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 w/64MB of memory. I raised the RAM up
to 384MB. The original soundcard, modem, and network cards remain in place.
I realize that the present load on the power supply is greater than the
original but the machine runs well with no problems. Is the addition of the
adapter and its Celeron 1.2 GHz chip the proverbial "straw that broke the
camel's back"?

Any advice would be appreciated as I am not presently in a position to buy a
new machine and look on this adapter as a way to triple my CPU speed for
$169. If I need a more powerful power supply can I just swap my Gateway unit
out for another one that will fit in the same place without modification?

Thanks for any advice.

Larry Scroggs

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml