From:
"Richard P. Evans" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 21:34:01 -0500
I need some serious help and advice.  I suddenly started having problems with
my DVD-ROM (couldn't see it) and other software.  Since I could not see it I
let Windows do search for new hardware and ended up with a mess.  Now I see
the DVD but it won't play them.  It works fine, or appears to, with standard
CDs. Here's what I see:  Under System Properties, Hard Drive Controllers -
Primary IDE controller (single FIFO) with "!", Standard Dual PCI IDE
Controller, and Standard IDE/ESDI Hard Disk Controller with "!".  Both the
Primary and Standard Controllers list the "device as not present, not working
properly, or does not have all drivers installed".  Both also say they are
part of a multi-function device (the Standard Dual PCI IDE Contoller) and
can not be di
sabled.  How can I get rid of the existing controllers and let
Windows do a new hardware search again and end up with the correct
contoller?  Could I some how re-install Windows 95 without losing my
existing programs and files without having to back them all up?  I have a
13.6 GB hard drive to give meaning to that question.  Does anyone have a
solution for me?  Has anyone had a similar experience and how did you
resolve it.  Thank you.

Sincerely,
Richard P. Evans

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,