From:
Joe Baire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 23:21:08 -0500
I have checked this on three Windows 98SE machines, all fresh installs of
the OS (not upgrades from Win 95 or Win 98).

POKE AROUND IN THE REGISTRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!

After booting up in Windows 98:
1.  Left mouse click on the Start button on the task bar.
2.  From the menu select Run.
3.  Type "regedit" (without the quotation marks) in the dialog box and click
the OK button.  This starts the registry editor.
4.  Left mouse click Edit on the menu bar and select Find on the droop down
menu.
5.  In the dialog box type "productkey" (without the quotation marks) and
make sure the Keys, Values & Data boxes are checked and then click on the
Find Next button.
6.  The value ProductKey should be highlighted in the right window pane in
the Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

> Try looking in the CurrentVersion folder only..it is there.  There is no
> sub-folder called 'ProductKey' in the 'CurrentVersion' folder.  When you
go
> to the below file location in RegEdit, highlight the 'CurrentVersion'
folder
> on the left side of the screen, then scroll down the right side of the
> screen and you will find ProductKey.
>
> <HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion>
>
> Steve Beck
>
> > On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 20:02:47 -0500 Joe Baire <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> > > That information is stored in the registry at the folloing location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProductKey

> > Not in my Win98se. Not found by search either.
> >
> > Demetri Kolokotronis

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org