From:
Eric Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 13:49:20 -0400
At 10:22 AM 9/5/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Eric,
>
>1) If you use a DSL Router do you then need a DSL modem in each
>computer, above and beyond a NIC(Network Interface Cards) ?

No, the DSL modem connects to the DSL router and it acts as the middle man
between the modem and each computer.

>2) Why would you have 2 NICs in one machine? (Do You use the same
>protocol?)

This is how one would share an Internet connection between computers.  One
computer acts as the gateway machine.  The first NIC would connect to the
DSL modem and the second connects to the rest of the network.  The proxy
server software handles the translation from one NIC to the other.

>3) Are there any Internet applications that will run on a DSL Router
>that will not run on a Proxy Server, or vice-versa?

Probably, but I have not run across one yet.  I'm sure they are pretty rare
these days but they used to be common.  If you are running something more
than a few years old, I would check with the manufacturer first.

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>