From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 18:22:53 -0700
At 09:03 PM 01/20/2001, Gary Cassidy wrote:
>I've just been flying about surfing mindlessly and came across the American
>Megatrends Website. My old 486 lists this as the BIOS manufacturer and I
>remembered hearing about "Flashing" a BIOS.
>
>Could anyone please fill me in on what exactly this does and whether or not
>the 7 year old computer might benefit from it?   It's just used as a second
>computer for playing some games and web surfing and works just fine.
>
>Are all computers "flashable"?  What does this entail?

No, only some late model 486 and newer PCs came with Bios
chips that could be FLASH upgraded.   Earlier Bios chips were
not designed to be upgraded.  You need to consult your manual
for either the motherboard or PC to determine if your PC can be
upgraded.

For more about Flashing a Bios, I have written a Guide to Flashing
a Bios on our web site: http://freepctech.com/pc/001/006.shtml

     Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group