From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 10:19:52 -0700
This is not a complete answer to your request, but I will address at least
the problem you had with XP. By default, XP does NOT support NetBEUI. While
NetBEUI is easy to install and configure (no configuration), it is not a
good protocol to work with any more because most computers need to connect
to the Internet. If you will be working with networks, it would be best to
get familiar with the TCP/IP protocol. If you have even a small router (such
as a DSL router), you can have it provide DHCP (Dynamic Host Control
Protocol) that will automatically provide each of your computers with an IP
address as the computer is turned on. The alternative is for you to assign a
static (non-changing) IP address to each computer manually. Each computer
would need a unique address that has only the last number different. The
first three octets (the numbers separated by decimal points) need to be the
same for all computers (no need to argue here - we are trying to keep it
simple). The subnet mask value would be set to 255.255.255.0 and the gateway
address would be the address of your internet router if you have one. These
settings, by the way, can be accessed by selecting properties for TCP/IP in
your network connection for the computer.

A hub and a switch or switching hub perform essentially the same purpose.
They distribute the network signals to all the computers connected to them.
The difference is that the switch is selective as to which computers need to
get the message, while the hub is a simple "gossip" that sends all signals
to all the computers. Hope this is of some help.

Peter
The NoSpin Group

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml