From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 15:58:37 -0800
> the problems I have had is that out in the
> country 10 miles or so from the telephone switch office
> the Motorola modems don't seem to like the line noise
> and won't connect, or connect at a slow speed.
> In town they seem to work ok.

You may experience the same problem with other
brands, maybe not.
Apparently, if you're more than 3 miles(roughly) from
the switch you increase your chance for connection
problems. GTE( US phone co.) has a newly published
pamphlet explaining their new standard for this. I've also
seen this mentioned on some retail modem boxes. A
NoSpin article also touches on this, as well.

I don't know if this is true, but a customer told me the
switch also has to support the modem type not just
the server you're connecting.

-yui shin

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org