Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2006 21:34:44 -0400
I don't have any information about the origin of your problem, BUT--

You might try opening Windows Help and access Help subject "Control
Panel"--many of the subtopics (in this case maybe "To Calibrate Your
Display to Actual Dimensions", as well as other Control Panel
sub-topics) contain links to other Windows functions; click the link in
the text to open the Control Panel.

There's also a handy freeware program called Mouse Emulator, from RH
Designs.  The version I found online was ver. 2.2; I don't know if there
are any later versions.  It allows you to use the arrow keys on the
number pad to manipulate the mouse pointer on screen.  When my mouse
died on my Win98 machine, I downloaded the program and it worked fine
and tided me over for a few days until I could get a replacement.

This is probably a long shot, since your problem is completely
different, but you might give it a try.

Martha Conolley

Anthony Smith wrote:

>This is really strange. On a WIN98 backup computer that I occasionally use, I experienced a monitor image problem that I've never encountered before.
>
>After I booted up the computer normally, the Win98 screen came up normally (in 1024 x 768 mode). No problem. Oddly though, after I looked back at the screen I saw that the image that filled the screen was a highly magnified portion of the original screen, i.e., about a 2-inch square portion of the original screen now filled the whole monitor screen. It was as if the Microsoft Magnifier was turned on, but it wasn't (I checked -- I've never used that utility). The mouse cursor (very large) still worked, but wouldn't scroll lower than halfway down the screen, meaning I couldn't use it to access the control panel to check or change the resolution setting.
>
>I'm stuck. I tried using keyboard scrolling tricks to move around to get to the control panel monitor settings but no luck. I tried reloading windows twice, but the screen always comes up in the magnified mode.
>
>Anyone have any ideas?
>
>Anthony Smith
>
>            Do you want to signoff PCBUILD or just change to
>                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
>                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads