From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:50:15 -0700
Peter Shkabara wrote;
> Also, what is SLI support and is it important to me?

As for important I would have to say no unless you are a serious gamer that
had to have the best.

"Scan Line Interlace, is a method of having two cards do the work of one.
Two Voodoo2 cards can be placed in your computer side-by-side and connected
by a short computer cable. When this happens, one will process all the
odd-numbered scan lines, and the other will process all the even-numbered
scan lines, so performance goes up by about 50%, and the effective frame
buffer is doubled. Texture memory, however, is duplicated in both cards.
Refers to two graphics cards working in tandem. It used to mean "Scan-Line
Interleave" in the days of Voodoo cards. Now, NVIDIA have redefined it to
mean "Scalable Link Interface" which still refers to two linked graphics
cards working together to drive a single display."

"Scan line Interleave is a mode in which two Pixels are connected and render
in alternate turns, one handling odd, the other handling even scan lines of
the actual output. Each Pixel stores only half of the image and half of the
depth buffer data in its own local frame buffer, effectively doubling the
number of pixels."

> I am comparing the GeForce 6600GT to a Radeon X800. They seem to have very
>similar performance, but the GeForce card I am thinking of is a Gigabyte
>GV-NX66T128VP that has no fan -translate into QUIET!
> Is there a reason to favor the X800 over the 6600GT? I do no gaming - just
>general computer work and occasional video processing.

General computing and "Occasional" video processing. GV-NX66T128VP that has
no fan. If you're not going to play any serious games I would say you made a
decent choice. It boils down to performance. What do you want the card to do
for you? What do you want to do with the card? What are your expectations?
Most video cards today will play seamless which is almost like watching
Television.

Sincerely,
Frank Suszka
netTek Computers

  _____

Virus Database (VPS): 0530-0, 07/25/2005
Tested on: 7/25/2005 10:50:05 PM

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>