Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2010 18:13:03 -0700
A System Restore might be easiest if you can get it to work:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-System-Restore-from-a-command-prompt

The Flash drive boot should work, so I'd try that one more time. All the
files you need should be on the flash drive. Try the Ubunbtu distro:
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
Your files can be copied  to a flash drive  via command prompt, but if
you're not familiar with it I'd get a USB enclosure or adapter and
remove the drive to copy the files.