From:
Larry Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2001 09:41:37 -0600
Kevin;
 You do need to exercise care when installing the heatsink/fan.
The tabs on the cpu socket can break off especially on motherboards
that have been in service for a while.
When installing the crossbow spring make sure it drops back fully against
the cpu socket
and doesn't hang on the end of the tab, which puts alot of stress on the end
and could break it off.
I often use needle nose pliers or forceps to install the spring.
 A tight fit is important as the heatsink contact area on the Duron cpus is
small.

I use a silicon heatsink compound, artic silver is also good but overkill if
your not overclocking.
Do use some kind of  heatsink compound as it will lower cpu temps by at
least 10 degrees.
use a very small amount, only enough to lightly coat the "slug" on the cpu
where the heatsink contacts.
Don't get it all over the top of the cpu, or use too much as it will be
forced out when the heatsink is installed.
I have been using the thermaltake chrome orb heatsink on my AMD builds, and
it does
seem like the crossbow spring is pretty stout.
 I have "tweaked" the shape of the spring a little to relieve the pressure
on the tabs.
If you think it will break the tab off, I would ask advice from
an experienced friend before proceeding.