From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 17:28:24 -0800
On 23 Jun 98 at 18:22, ana maria pino wrote:

> which mother board would give me good profromence

  The motherboard is the core piece of a PC -- virtually everything
else must connect to it.  So if you already have a CPU, a video card,
a case (& power supply) that you want to use, that will constrain
your choices of motherboard -- or your choice of motherboard will
constrain your choices in those other areas.
  Let's assume that you have no existing parts, and will buy them as
necessary to go with the board you select.

  First of all, I would get an ATX board rather than AT.  This will
require a bit pricier case and power supply, but you shouldn't skimp
on those anyway.
  The other basic choice is whether to use a Slot 1 CPU (PII,
Celeron) or Socket 7 (AMD, Cyrix, IDT WinChip, or Pentium MMX).  The
latter are all reasonable choices and will keep the cost down, but
I'm currently deploying PII-400 where performance is the issue.
  If you will be running NT or Unix, you may wish to consider dual
CPUs.  This too will, currently, limit you to Intel's products.

  I'm deploying the Asus P2B motherboards in our current crop of
servers.  We're using specifically the -DS version, with on-board
SCSI[*] and the option to include a second CPU on many machines.

[*] SCSI is preferred in performance-critical applications because of
its lower CPU utilization than EIDE; not sure how UDMA stacks up.

David G