From:
Cathy Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 03:53:09 -0700
Hi everyone,

I own a pre-school, daycare, and before & after school centre.  I have been trying to beg, borrow or steal three unwanted used computers; two for the older kids to access the internet for homework and do simple word processing on only, and one for the smaller kids to play with age appropriate educational software only.  My daycare kids are mostly special needs.  While the work is rewarding, the government allowance for taking them is pittance, and I simply do not have the money to buy new equipment to help these kids.

I have been offered one "Pentium 1 range (90-180)" from a government office.  I was told it has no operating system.  I was cautioned that while I may SOMEHOW be able to obtain (they didn't know how) an operating system for this computer, I may have trouble getting most software to work with this older system.  Some of the pre-school software I have states on the label that it will work with "Windows 3.1 or higher"; another set states it will work with "486MHz or better".

I know almost nothing about computers. This is probably a dumb question and I can already hear some of you roll your eyes, but do I need an operating system?  I assume it would be kind of like having a car without an engine, but thought I'd ask anyway.  Is this computer a dinosaur that I'll regret acquiring?  How can I get an operating system (preferably free, but legal) for it?  I read quite some time ago about a free system called Linux, I think.  Can I/should I use this OS with a Pentium 1.  I presently use a Pentium 11 with Windows 98 on my home office computer and I am happy with it, so I don't see what's so terrible about a Pentium 1.  I also have high speed cable internet that I would use for the before/after school kids computer.  Would that work with a Pentium 1, or is it too rich for its blood?  Please advise this fumbling novice.  Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

Thank you,
Cathy Pierce
British Columbia

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,