From:
Jack R Payton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 01:21:50 -0400
   Ever since reading about setting a *fixed* Windows swap file in two
different tech mags/bulletins - each recommended setting the swap at a
fixed number 2.5x the installed RAM, I've used followed that principle
successfully on three different computers, and passed along that advice
to other users. My computers have worked better and I've heard no
complaints from the *advisees.*
   Recently, I've read that once you install more than 128mb RAM, you can
reduce the 2.5x factor to 2.0x, and if you have 512mb RAM, to 1.5x or so.
If a system doesn't have enough available HD space to allow a 2.5xRAM,
then the size of the HD is probably too small for the amount of hard RAM,
or vice versa. If so, a variable swap file would probably run into the
typical "ran out of memory" problem - and, the User should consider a
larger HD. We've successfully run 128Mb RAM with a 320 (2.5x) swap file
on a 4.3Mb HD.
   Some authorities recommended setting aside a separate HD partition and
establishing it as a fixed swap file, rather than a *variable* one.
Jack Payton

On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 11:03:24 -0400 Glenn Josephson <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> In my experience, setting a fixed swap in Win9x can actually degrade
> performance, especially if the swap is set too large. It already has
> enough
> performance problems. ;). Ymmv.
> Glenn

try setting your swap file as a fixed size of 160mb, rather than  the
option of "let windows do it." That will ensure you have the necessary
swap file space available, and not depend upon getting whatever is left
over on the partition.
jack payton

> > On Sat, 23 Jun 2001 12:29:26 -0400 Glenn Josephson
> > writes:
> > > Hi Harry. How full is your hard drive?  Windows depends  on virtual
memory
> to work, especially when you have multiple applications open. This
virtual memory...