Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2004 13:52:54 +1300
Sherry, Google will get heaps of hits on 'Safely Remove Hardware'.  Here's one that apparently explains how to hide it.
http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/howto-07.html

However, if you use any USB devices, I suggest you leave it where it is, as it's main function is ensuring that it's safe to disconnect a USB device, which might be in the process of transferring information.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand