From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:41:40 -0500
> Will there be any performance difference between onboard video and card
> video, same or equal manufacturer and same amount memory? I realize
> onboard memory will "borrow" memory. Other than that?
>
> What difference will see between video cards with 8MB, 16MB, and 32MB
> memory, if not play video games?

        Unfortunately you have asked a question that is more complicated than it
should. First, not all onboard video borrows main memory, you will have to
check with the particular board whether this is so. However, I grant you
that most onboard video uses main memory. The problem with this is main
memory is actually pretty slow for video terms, so don't expect much
performance out of it. If you aren't into games than this isn't much of an
issue, but there will be a noticeable difference between a video system
using it's own memory and one using the main memory.
        Size of video card is something marketers make you think that more is
better but if you're not into 3D then more is a waste of money. Most 3D
cards have alot of memory so that they play 3D games well. If you're not
into 3D games than 8MB is probably all you need, it depends on what size
monitor you have. The higher in resolution you want to go, and the higher
colour depth, the more memory you need. Actually it is very easy to figure
out what you need. Say you want to run 1600x1200 at 16.7 million colours.
Every pixel needs 3 bytes (that gives you 16.7 million colours), and there
are 1600x1200 pixels, so the memory you need is 3x1600x1200 = 5760000 bytes
= 5.5MB, so a 4MB card won't give you enough but an 8MB card would. Hope
this helped. TTYL

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>