From:
James Maki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 08:07:44 -0800
> -----Original Message from David Gillett
>
>   This tells us that the problem is occurring at a more fundamental level
> than file sharing and Network Neighborhood.  All that ping needs is a
> working TCP/IP stack on each machine, appropriate addressing and routing,
> and no blocking of a couple of basic ICMP packet types.
>
>   Can either machine ping to some third party, such as www.yahoo.com?
>
> David Gillett

David,

2) WinXP, Linux, WinME can all access Internet thru a common broadband
connection.
3) WinXP and WinME can "see" and ping each other. (Linux system is another
story)
4) Laptop is set up with same workgroup. It seems to be getting an IP
address.
5) I cannot ping from the Win95 laptop. MS-DOS window produces fatal
error/BSD. This may or may not be related?
6) The confusing issue is that the laptop seems to be connecting to the
network and getting an IP address, but can not see or be seen by the rest of
the network computers.

Jim

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com