From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 01:59:43 -0500
From: "Joseph Rene C Hallare" :Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2001 2:56 AM
Subject: [PCBUILD] NEC PC-PR101/J180 (aka HP DeskJet 660C)

> Hello Listers!
>
> I need help to identify possible source of problem in a NEC PC-PR101/J180 (aka HP DeskJet 660C) printer that I had bought 2nd hand.The printer was initially detected upon intallation and correctly identified as such (NEC PC-PR101/J180). The printer cable is connected to LPT1 and according to the HP660C Toolbox is bidirectional. However, the moment I ask it to print all it will spew out is the Japanese test page!  If I queue a print job it will notify me that the computer has lost communication with the printer. If I remove the paper on the feed it will notice that there is no more paper. Both lights are constantly on after which and repeatedly turning on and off the printer has no effect of changing the situation. I know the unit is to be submitted for service, but I would like to find out if anyone has an idea how bad the damage is and if it is worth repairing.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Joseph Hallare

Joseph,

How was this printer correctly detected as a NEC PC-PR101/J180 printer?  I checked the NEC site and they don't have any listing for this printer.  From what you have written it sounds like you installed HP drivers for a NEC printer.  This could cause the problem you are having.  The HP 660 is a ink jet printer, is this printer an Ink jet or a laser?  Windows 98 does not have a listing for the NEC PC-PR101/J180  printer either so I am wondering where you got the drivers for it?

Mary Wolden

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>