From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 21:04:37 -0700
Hi Tim,

The CD will spin and flash as it reads the ID off the disk. This proves it
has power, but this does not imply that the CPU is reading it since this
part is completely internal to the drive.

The part of your original post that makes me think the IDE cable or
interface is the BIOS reporting "not installed".

It could be that the BIOS has lost its configuration of the drives, or the
port has been disabled. You might look through the BIOS options looking for
something that enables/disables IDE ports.

Russ Poffenberger