From:
Tom Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Aug 2005 09:31:05 -0700
It may have been a coincidence that the computer worked for a while after
you reset the PS/MB connection. You say that the connection snapped into
place which indicates a firm connection. If the connection was somewhat
loose for a few years, the connectors could be slightly corroded. Although I
know of slot connections becoming corroded, I'm not familiar with corrosion
on PS/MB connectors. And because of the connection design, I can't think of
an effective way of cleaning them. If the fans are working when the power is
on, the PS itself is probably OK. And since the computer works OK after you
reset the connection, the MB is probably OK as well as another indication
that the PS is OK..

While you are inside the case, you should probably disconnect/unseat and
reconnect/reseat all other connectors, cards and RAM (and CPU if readably
available). Also, if you have not already done so, clean the fans etc. This
is where the coincidence comes in. In resetting the PS/MB connection, you
may have slightly disturbed another connection enough to get the computer
working for a while.

Hope this helps.

Tom Mayer

Gordon Totty <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>My wife's computer ran fine for years, then wouldn't boot one day about a
>month ago.  Suspecting the power supply had failed, I opened it up to
>remove the old power supply.  On removing the connection to the system
>board, I thought it came off too easily.  Perhaps it had not been firmly
>attached to begin with.  So, I reinstalled it, making sure it snapped
>firmly in place.  Then, the computer booted and ran fine for a month.
>
>Yesterday, the same problem recurred.  I disconnected the power supply from
>the system board, reconnected it, and again all was fine.
>
>My conclusion is that the connection is failing somehow.
>
>Any ideas short of new power supply or new system board on how to fix this?
>Is there a way to make the connection more "positive" or "firmer"?

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads