From:
Don Cooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 20:24:27 -0700
Jim

You said in the other post:
"I have been in this business for a long time and I have NEVER met a
*professional* who would deviate from the specs."

My reply:
I would agree with you as I too have been around for awhile.  But I have
seen one company wired by three professionals who used different colors on
the wiring of 1/2 and 3/6.  Pins 4/5 & 7/8 don't make any difference.  It is
not unusual to see them not connected.

If you keep in mind that pins 1&2 and pins 3&6 always have to be connected
with the same pair it will make things easier when you see something that
works fine but the colors don't match the standard.  Other times there may
be a problem with one of the pairs and the professional will substitute
another pair instead of rewiring.  On one occasion I saw pins 3 and six from
two different pairs.  It worked but they are not twisted.

Now you see why I make an emphasis that only pins 1/2 have to be the same
color pair and 3/6 have to be the same color pair on any installation.  The
standard makes it easier for all.

Now to compound the problem even more - the cable itself is defined in the
CAT 5 definitions has the blue pair is pair #1, the orange pair is pair #2,
the green pair is pair #3 and the brown pair is pair #4.  So you still
connect the same colors but actually you use pair two to connect pins 1 and
2 and pair 3 to connect to pins 3 and 6.  confusing huh!!!

I had to go back to my tool box to make sure I was doing it right -
wheeeewwww - I was but I stated it wrong..  You are absolutely correct that
the standard of wiring to the pins to the connector is:

 Pin #  color
> 1       White-Orange
> 2       Orange
> 3       White-Green
> 4       White-Blue
> 5       Blue
> 6       Green
> 7       White-Brown
> 8       Brown

Now to take it one step further.  if you are going to wire two machines
together without a hub - how would you wire both ends.

Don't slap it together as I suggested - do it right and you will have far
less headaches in the long run.

Don

   Don Cooley / San Jose, California / [log in to unmask]
  New Prostate-Help Forums / My Prostate Cancer story
 My family story & history / All at  http://prostate-help.com
     To discuss Prostate Cancer call me at 408 268-6400