From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 08:45:45 -0400
This is not in the registry.  Aside from the possibility of the modem being
bad, there are install issues that prevent dial tone detection.  One of the
causes is a bad port assignment, like com3, com4, com5, etc.

You should check in control panel, system, device manager, for existing comm
ports.  Check where the modem is assigned.  I have had mixed results by
using the modem's device manager entry to reconfigure it.  What I suggest
(assuming the modem is good) is to clear up any possible conflicts, maybe
disable a physical comm port in your bios using the cmos setup (press del to
enter setup during boot).  Then uninstall and reinstall the modem so that it
gets different assignments.

Tom Turak