From:
Marv Trott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:55:58 -0500
Peter,

You are correct. Any colored pair will work. Color coding makes it easier to
wire systems and to check the work.  A color coded pair could be made from one
solid colored insulation and the same solid color with a white tracer(stripe),
or a solid color and a white insulated wire with the solid color as the tracer.

The correct pair connections for a straight through cable, regardless of the
color of the wire pairs are shown in the Linksys Site as Doug Simmons suggested
at  http://www.linksys.com/tech_helper/cabling.html

Marv Trott

At 04:29 PM 3/29/01 -0800, you wrote:
>I am not a cable guru, but it was my understanding that pins 1-2 3-6 4-5 7-8
>were the wire pairs. I also don't know if the wire colors are standard as to
>the pin assignment, but a wire pair consists of a color and the same color
>with a stripe. Modifying the list provided by Marv and adjusting it to the
>proper pin pairs would give us this:
>
>white & orange
>orange
>white & blue
>white & green
>green
>blue
>white & brown
>brown
>
>If my understanding is wrong, someone please correct me so I don't teach
>others the wrong way.
>
>Peter Shkabara, P.E.
>Computer Science Instructor
>Columbia College - Sonora, CA