From:
Alan Priol <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 2002 14:42:36 +1000
Hi, so far I have managed to first install Windows 98 an now have
replaced that with a clean install of XP. This was done after several
reboots because the hard drive gave up during the install. I can run XP
for a short while before it does a memory dump as the drive gives up.
Formatting the drive shows no bad sectors and when running the Fujitsu
utilities I get a failure during the low level format. Temperature is of
no concern as the computer is running quite cool and I have placed a
case fan in the case to provide extra cooling just to be sure. Another
drive I have tried does not have this problem. I can only conclude the
drive is defective.

Thanks,
Alan Priol.

When you say "it" locks up, is "it" the OS (which OS are you running)
that freezes up, or is "it" the drive that locks up?  If it is the
drive, how do you know that "it" is locked up?  I have seen a lot of
posts here that Fujitsu drives are bad and should be avoided.  Have you
gone into your BIOS to check on the settings related to this drive?
Have you run a Scandisk thorough test to see if there are bad sectors on
the drive?  Have you downloaded the Fujitsu utilities from
www.fujitsu.com to test the drive? The drive could be failing, but the
symptoms indicate some other possibilities.  Can you borrow a working
drive with the same OS as you're running to see if the same thing
occurs?

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml