From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 13:52:27 -0800
On 29 Mar 98 at 9:49, Dave Littlehale wrote:

> The instructions say:
>
> "Attach the case LED 2-pin or 4-pin cable to the 4-pin connector
> labelled LED.  Be sure to align pin 1 of the LED cable to pin 1 of the
> connector."
>
> I guess I'm pretty stupid, but where in the world is this cable they are
> referring to?  There is a 2-pin cable that attachs to the motherboard
> labeled "HDD LED" (it is a orange wire and white wire); is this what
> they are referring to?  It is bundled with some other wires that attach
> to the motherboard in the general location of the LED and go to the
> front of the case.
>
> My second and third stupid questions are; how do you determine what
> is pin 1 on the cable and how do you determine what is pin 1 on the
> board?

  Yes, that is the cable.  You could reasonably assume that if one of
its wires is black or white, it's probably connected to Pin 2, and
the coloured wire to Pin 1.
  The connector it goes to should actually be on the primary HDD
controller; if this is on the motherboard, then the connection to the
motherboard is probably already correct.  If you were installing a
SCSI adapter or a VLB or PCI controller, there would be a place to
connect this cable to that card.

  Best guide to where Pin 1 is on the motherboard is the motherboard
manual.  Many (but unfortunately not all!) motherboards mark Pin 1
with a numeral "1" or an arrowhead or other distinguishing mark.
  Recall, though, that all that's on this cable is an LED.  If it's
not connected, no current flows.  If it's connected backwards, no
current flows.  If it's connected correctly, the LED will glow when
the controller allows current to it -- if you're not seeing that,
there are only two (or four, if there's a second pair) configurations
to try, and no harm that mistakes can cause.

David G