Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2007 15:54:34 -0600
Hello Vanessa,

Short answer: You, as an individual installing Vista on a computer for your
own use, do not need to use the OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK). The
Preinstallation Requirement of the OEM System Builder license states in
part, "When you distribute an individual software license...". You, as an
individual user, will not be distributing the software license.

Longer answer: If your package specifies it is an "OEM System Builder Pack",
it should contain a copy of the OPK. With previous versions of Windows, the
OPK was only packaged with OEM 3-packs and above. The OPK is intended for
those system builders who want/need to customize their installations with
additional software, etc., for distribution (to sell) as complete systems.
It includes tools to allow the builder to customize the installation to the
point where the end user will have an "out of the box" experience when
Windows is first used, to include things like the Windows Welcome and setup
of Windows for your use... choosing a password, setting time and display
properties and Windows Activation, among others.

This information is based on personal experience and research of the subject
on various Web sites. References to long to list but will send to anyone on
request.

Sven Swanson, Sr.
The NoSpin Group, Inc.