From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 14:15:54 -0400
When I installed ZoneAlarm as a firewall several months ago (with dial-in
access), I was surprised to see that 5 different programs activated when I
made connection to the internet and were trying to send information to
different sites. A sweep with Ad Aware showed that they were spyware
programs put on my system by my son as he loaded on some free programs from
the internet.  Apparently they detect when an internet connection is made
and then activate to send the collected information back to the spyware
company.  At that time ZoneAlarm was the only firewall that detected and
blocked outgoing internet traffic.  It is great at detecting spyware.

Doug

At 6/27/01 11:30 PM, John F. Beaulieu wrote:

>Spyware/adware are tracking programs that usually get added to a system when
>you download free software over the web.
>
>There may be some stuff out there that does some actual spying, but the term
>is usually used to refer to programs that monitor and note your every move
>when online. But these type of programs do it more thoroughly and without
>the anonymity that cookies do.
>
>It doesn't make any difference how you the access the Net.
>
>John Beaulieu

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml