From:
Kay Gibbs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:19:26 -0400
I wish I could invest in a new machine, but I can't right now, so I have to
make the best of what I have.  Since posting this message I discovered I
could install a PCI adapter to accommodate the larger hard drive and speed
of the faster drive.   My pentium uses fat 32 but the bus speed is only
66mhz, and I understand this apater card will help with that.  I really
haven't spent anything as I was given a $200 gift certificate so I used it
to buy these items.  It's like a free upgrade.

I'm wondering though, if these adapter cards will hurt the processor since I
would be running they system at a speed faster than the processor could
accommodate, but I understand the processor isn't involved in this process.
Do you know anything about that?

Thanks for your response, I appreciate the help!

Kay F Gibbs

>From: Howard Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] What's my best option?
>Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 08:37:34 -0300
>
>First thing to consider is wether either system would recognize a hard
>drive
>over 32 gigabytes.  The second, what is the cost and availability of the
>memory for these older machines.  It looks to me that there will be a 64
>bit
>revolution coming, possibly similiar to one that  occured when we went from
>16 to 32 and FAT 16 to 32.  For my money, instead of buying all of these
>extra parts, I would invest in a newer machine.  You do not know how slow
>your video projects are till you try them on a newer machine!  My work
>machine is a PIII 600mhz and  I wish it was faster.
>
>Howard Rubin
>The Computer Doctor
>Fortaleza, Brazil
>
>Date:    Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:46:47 -0500
>From:    Kay F Gibbs <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: What's my best option?
>
>I have a pentium 233 with MMX and a pentium II 266 with MMX.  the pntium
>has
>10 and 2 GB hard drives.  The P II has a 5GB hardrive.  I do a lot of
>website work and alot of work with photos and art.  I also have a dragon
>Naturally speaking progran I will using frequently.  I just purchased a new
>40GB Maxtor DiamnondMax
>hard drive and also an extra 256MB memory stick. I'm also purchasing an
>external cd-rw. I currently have an Iomega 100MB external zip drive.  I am
>running windows 95 on the PII and win95 with a win(*SE upgrade on the
>Pentium.  I plan on upgrading the PII operating system to win 98SE also,
>
>One of these systems will be used strictly for the internet, with only the
>opreating system MSN 8 and whatever software will be required with a cd-rw
>for dowloading, etc.
>
>I am trying to decide which system will be best suit
>ed for the internet and which will be best suited for my other work.  Other
>programs I will add to which ever one I choose for my work will also
>include
>Canon Creative, Ulead Photo Impact, Compudraw and a fractal program.
>
>I definitely need the 40GB drive for these programs but I don't which
>system
>to put it in.  If I use the Pentium for the internet, then it's going to be
>eally slow as I only have dial-up, but is that going to be the best bet???
>I know many web programs require at the least a PII and many won't work
>with
>less than a PIII now. I was also consdiering upgrading my Dragon program as
>well.
>
>Can you advise me on the best thing to do now, short of buying a whole new
>system?
>
>Thank you for your input.
>
>Kay
>
>                The NOSPIN Group Promotions is now offering
>               Mandrake Linux or Red Hat Linux CD sets along
> [...]

Frustrated with dial-up? Get high-speed for as low as $29.95/month
(depending on the local service providers in your area).
https://broadband.msn.com

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml