From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 12:25:12 -0500
----------
> From: Brad Loomis <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: [PCBUILD] 486 Memory?
> Date: Monday, June 08, 1998 9:19 AM
>
> I'm working on my daughters 486DX, and I'd like some assistance from you
all
> who I know have answered this question a bunch of times. So one more
time,
> the memory module has nine chips on one side, markings of tag:
> E945470 SE94
> 4MB             -70
> 4MX9            P
> J001            091A
>
> My question is what type is this and is it still available? Board has
eight
> 30 pin slots with four of the above and four open, for 16MB. I'd like to
up
> to 32MB. What would be the best arrangement to install? Are 8MB modules
> available and do they work with the existing 4-4MB modules? Does the
order
> of install matter?

I see that most of your questions have already been answered.  One point
that I don't think was made is that in a 486 system, you must add memory in
sets of four modules.  That is, in your current configuration, you must add
another set of four 4MB or 1MB SIMMs.  You cannot add the SIMMs in a pair
as you could with a Pentium system.  I have seen 16MB 30-pin SIMMs
advertised sometimes but there are no 8MB 30-pin SIMMs.  This is because of
the requirement for installing memory in sets of four SIMMs.