From:
Tim Lider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 15:35:26 -0700
Hello Drew Dunn, at 12:26 PM 6/17/98 -0600 you wrote:

>You're probably correct, Tim, about the utility software, but it's designed
>to overcome the BIOS limitations rather than any difficulties with the
>operating system.

  I do believe the FAT-32 might have the same limitation as FAT-16.  The
limitations are 1024 Cylinders, 255 heads, and 63 sectors. Although I have
read some articles that the Bios must have an enhance INT 13 in order to
the complete hard drive.

  I do know that NTFS will see the complete hd.  In fact I have a 36GB RAID
unit running on our server right now and it sees the complete setup.

  Lemme go over to Maxtor's site and see if I can see that article again...

  Drew here is part of the new products page at Maxtor and here is what
they have to say:

-=< Begin Article >=-

Breaking the 8.4 GB Capacity Barrier

Due to BIOS and operating system limitations, many of today’s PCs are not
equipped to handle hard drives with capacities greater than 8.4 GB. Maxtor
addresses this limitation with its exclusive MaxBlast installation
software, an easy-to-use solution for breaking the 8.4 GB barrier. MaxBlast
(version 9.06) makes it possible for most computers to work with the 13.6
GB DiamondMax 3400.

http://www.maxtor.com/NewsRoom/press/nr061598.html

 -=< End Article >=-

This is going to be a good information exchange.  I wonder if they will
have the same discussion at the HWG?

Regards,

Tim Lider
Advanced Data Solutions              ICQ: 7562541
Web Site: http://www.adv-data.com E-Mail: Mailto:[log in to unmask]