From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 12:34:35 -0500
> Is the power from a 5500w generator "clean" enough to run
> my computer? (Generator is a 10 year old Homelite.)
> Along the same lines, will it "stress" the components of my
> surge suppressors, and UPS.  I "think" they will only "suppress"
> a certain amount, and then be "worn-out/used up"?...
> Anybody have some good links/advise on this type of info?
> Thanks in advance.   Happy Y2K.    Rick Glazier

     Good question. The output of many generators is quite good, but being
mechanical they aren't ideal. Of course the best solution would be to put it
though an online UPS, then you wouldn't have to worry at all. I believe the
biggest problems you will have with a generator is brown out conditions and
too low a freq. The second is not much of a problem, computers use switching
power supplies which convert the incoming voltage to DC first anyways,
however your other components running off of transformers may not like this.
The first may be a problem. Brownouts are not a computer's favorite thing.
The only real way to know is to monitor the thing with a volt meter or even
better a oscilloscope, if the voltage "looks" clean and is steady in
frequency and peak you shouldn't have any problems. Since you mention a UPS
your computer will be protected to an extent, if it is an online UPS you
don't really have anything to worry about, if it is a normal UPS like mine
then you might. As for "stressing" the components, surge suppressers, no.
They only clamp high voltages (somewhere in the region of 300V), so unless
your generator starts running at almost twice the normal RPM I don't see it
happening. As for the UPS I don't think you will "stress" it either,
although it might complain of brownouts at times. Hope this helped, TTYL

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>