From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 17:10:36 -0400
---------
> From: Bob Hamil <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Friday, June 05, 1998 8:45 AM
>
> I'm looking for a Non-microsoft operating system, for a lower end,
> pentium desktop.  I'm very interested in  getting away from microsoft
> os, does anyone have experience or recomendations for Non-microsoft
> operating systems, either as a single install, or as a dual-boot system,
> using system commander?
> This will be for small business, webpage building, and internet use.

Without contesting your reasons for eschewing Microsoft Windows, your
choices for an Intel based system are limited.  There are still plenty of full
featured business and accounting systems available, so you could use DOS
in conjunction with Linux.  Or, if you have a nice budget, check out Santa Cruz
Operation - www.sco.com - for a free non-commercial Unix license.  SCO has
a full line of products, including  x-windows, which you might prefer over
MS windows.
Once you leave Microsoft, unfortunately, you leave behind all that
cheap and available software, too.
tom turak
tturak at ralgi dot com