From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:00:34 -0500
Thank you, Hugh.  I purchased a new toner cartridge, and that seems to have
fixed the problem.

1. I purchased the old toner cartridge at the same time that I bought the
printer, about two or three years ago, in order to have a spare.  I just
replaced the original cartridge within the last six months or so.  So, I
guess the lesson is:  laser cartridges go bad over time.  Usually, you can
make one print a little more by shaking it a bit, so it is not real
necessary to keep one on hand if you are a casual user.

2. My old HP IV had a separate roller (a nice metal one) built in; the
cartridge in the 1200 included a plastic roller, that was replaced when I
put in a new cartridge.  Maybe they added that "feature" to solve the smear
problems that I had had with my older printer.  Cleaning the metal roller
always seemed to help a little, but the problem returned quickly.  Perhaps
heavy users don't see that problem as much.

Dean Kukral