From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 09:38:08 -0500
At 04:18 PM 03/08/2001 Doug Simmons wrote:
> . . .
>My son tried to load an old DOS mode game on my
>Windows 98 machine and it didn't work. . .
>It has changed the DOS video "mode" of the video
>card.  Now when the computer initially boots,
>the BIOS logo and text goes off both sides of the
>monitor. . . .

Doug

You have to check the C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT and C:\CONFIG.SYS files. These are
usually the files that get amended when you load an old DOS-only game. The
game manual should tell you what statements are added in one or both of the
files.  Insert the REM (remark) command in front of the suspected game
statements. Some well-designed game installers will make backup copies of
the original startup files, so look for files such as C:\AUTOEXEC.BAK and
C:\CONFIG.BAK in the Root directory dated contemporaneously to the actual
files.

If the games uses the MODE command, you'll see a MODE statement in the
C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

You might see a special DOS video driver (either a prototypical/generic one
or the one for your particular video card) in the C:\CONFIG.SYS.

As always, make a backup of these startup files before editing them (use a
DOS text editor like EDIT or Notepad in Windows).

If this game runs under Windows 3.1, you might see a statement added or
changed in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI.

If it gets really complicated, I suggest you use the MSCONFIG utility
(Start---Run--MSCONFIG) and uncheck the boxes you suspect load the game's
video parameters. Narrow down the usual suspects to the actuals, and then
edit/delete the statements that offend your visual interface.

HTH.

John Chin
Miami, FL

P.S. I attended Creighton grade school with a Doug Simmons in Phoenix, AZ.,
circa 1966; let me know (off list) if you're the same.