From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 2004 21:36:38 -0700
Jim Dirkson wrote:
>Installed a PCI modem on a XP Pro machine and when New Hardware Found came
>up it said found "PCI Simple Communications Controller". Would not install,

Do you have the installation disk that came with the modem? This may be
where the answer lies.

I have had situations where I got similar messages. You may have to bypass
the install process and drill down in the install disk to see what's there
and where the file you need is located. When using Windows XP with legacy
hardware the OS may not be able to pick up the necessary .inf file needed to
install the modem. In addition to this problem, you may have to go to the
Modem Mfg. website and download the necessary Windows XP drivers. There are
times I have to repair a system and it is a time consuming ordeal trying to
locate the necessary drivers for no name hardware.

Locate the installation disk if you have it and open Windows Explorer and
view the contents of the disk. <smile> Before you do this, write down what
file is required or being asked for during the install. Once you locate the
file, write it down so you know where to go during boot up. Again you have
another option, load the necessary files from the disk to a folder on the
drive. One way or another you can get there from here. It may be a
convoluted path but it sometimes works.

>Why does it come up PCI Simple Communications Controller when it's a modem?

At this point you are fortunate due to the fact it is a PCI Modem not a
WINMODEM which relies upon the CPU for travel. US Robotics is famous for
the poor end user is given the task of properly installing the hardware and
drivers after a crash or system rebuild. Each manufacturer inserts certain
information into the chipset on the board. The Mfg. of the board you have
shows it as what you reported. It may have worked from previous XP machines
but the fact remains you will have to supply the current OS with the
necessary drives in order for the beast to work. Someplace along the line
the drives were installed.

> Both were working modems when removed from previous XP machines.

<smile>

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers