From:
"LaMont K. Bankes" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 17:48:19 -0600
>Has anyone used the new AMD K6-2/300 cpu and one of the "Super" Slot 7
>motherboards?
>Some of the hype on the AMD web site says it will run Quake II as fast as a
>Pentium 2 400. Any thoughts on the subject will be greatly appreciated.

   Hi Bill,

   I have used the K6-2/300 for about a month now on the FIC VA-503+ and I
am very happy with it.  I can't claim the PII-400 remark to be true, but I
have noticed a huge difference between my current set up (K6-2 300/FIC
VA-503+) and my previous system (K6-233/FIC PA-2007).  I am running 64mb
PC-100 sdram with Win98 and it runs great!  I haven't run all my games yet
on the system, but I did install "Need for Speed II SE" and noticed a big
difference in the way it ran: everything was much smoother and the action
was more pronouced(car bouncing when it hit the road after being airborn &
the car would jitter when it was turning a corner too fast), it never did
this on my previous system.  As far as the "3D Now" commands that are built
into the CPU, last I heard was that programs had to be designed to take
advantage of it . . . not real sure.  My thought is that a video card will
make a big difference in a game vs the cpu (to a point).  You put an
excellent video card with the K6/2 300 and I would think that you would have
a hard time seeing a difference between it and a PII 400.

See ya,
LaMont