From:
Ashok Bhiman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 02:25:11 -0500
On 12 Nov 98 at 9:58, Ashok Bhiman wrote:

>   I have an old CD Drive which is not working properly. When the
> data cable is plugged in, there is no display at all i.e. I cannot

>>  Unfortunately, the IDE/EIDE/ATAPI standard is not the only 40-pin
>> interface used on CD-ROM drives.  It's about all you'll find *now*,
>> but you describe this as an "old" drive and so it may have a
>> proprietary interface from Sony, Mitsubishi, Panasonic or others.
>> When such a drive is connected to an IDE/EIDE controller, the
>> machine's refusal to boot is about the best result you could hope
>>  Your best bets are either (a) find an old sound card that offers
>> three or four interfaces, and determine which one your drive

David G

Thanks David and Eric Outten. Of all the suggestions received yours worked. I did not have to donate my drive. It turned out to be a Panasonic which when connected to its interface on the Opti Sound card 930 works fine. I downloaded win95 drivers for the card from the Opti Site. A couple of more problems:

1) I am unable to record sounds. The mike when connected to the socket  produces echo on the speakers and grating sound is heard if the mike moves. Recording is not at all possible. Can you help?

2) I remember to have a seen a program to find out the speed of the CDROM drive. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

(Dr. Ashok Bhiman)
                       M.D.
email: [log in to unmask]