From:
"Paul A. Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 19:23:22 -0400
Greetings all--

I have recently begun to experience a very regular 'system event' (for lack
of a better term)
which apparently has the Windows XP Exclamation sound assigned to it. Every
90 seconds
(+ or - 3 seconds) this sound occurs. My system is a Pentium 4 2.8 GB, 1GB
dual channel
DDR RAM computer on an ASUS P4S800 board, with a Western Digital ATA 100 80
GB
hard disk, an ATI Radeon 9200 Atlantis 128 MB video card, Creative Labs
Audigy sound board,
OEM (Optowrite) 8X DVD burner, Creative 52X CD-ROM, a floppy drive, and an
additional (to the built-in network interface) Linksys NIC. My OS is Windows
XP Professional
SP2 (which installed without incident from the 266 MB downloaded 'IT
professional distribution
package'), and I run Avast! antivirus (which regularly updates itself). I
regularly update and run
SpywareBlaster 3.2, Spybot Search & Destroy 1.3, Panicware's PopupStopper,
and Adaware SE
Personal Edition. None of those utilities has found any evidence of malware.
This computer is the
Internet Gateway for the other two computers on my home peer-to-peer network
(hence the
additional network card). There are 43 processes running (in addition to the
Audigy control panel),
most of which I can account for, based on hardware and/or applications,
i.e., a couple of ati services,
the Nero InCD service, PSfree, etc. The processor load is only around 2%
most of the time (when
I check) and the commit charge on the page file is only ca. 237MB. (The
"exclamation", by the way
causes the processor usage to throw a 1% "blip".)

Does anyone have any wisdom to share as to what may be causing this very
regular "event"?

Thanks in advance.

Paul A. Shippert
Utilitarian
Margaret Brent Middle School
There is a theory which states that if anyone
ever discovers what the universe is and what
it is for, it will instantly be destroyed and
be replaced by something even more bizarre
and inexplicable.  There is another theory
which states that this has already happened.
Douglas Adams

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com